Author's Favorite Links

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Husband

The Husband, by Dean Koontz was a fairly quick read with little over 400 paperback pages, of comfortably readable size font; it made for an enlightening experience.  I’ll preface by saying, I’m not one of the biggest fans of The Husband, but I cannot deny there were events discussed drawn from the memories of the main character, Mitchell (Mitch) Rafferty that would make the most hardened child social worker cringe with disgust.
As you may imagine, the main character is a married man, happily I’ll add, but the book leaves you hanging a bit in the beginning as to who the villains truly are which I enjoy as it draws me into the story more.  Mitch who is a humble business owner of a landscaping business out of Orange County, California witnesses a murder directly across the street from him as he is on the cell phone with the soon to be found out kidnappers of his wife.  A man of humble means, Mitch has been directed to deliver two million dollars of ransom for the healthy return of his lovely wife or the same fate awaits her.
It was once said, “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”  The book at this point is exclusionary to some and inclusionary only to the lucky ones in life, at this juncture, as it reminds us of the true loves we once had or have and the willingness to die without second guessing so that someone you hold dear may live.  It truly brought me back to the things I said and meant, and still do, as we get caught up in jobs, school and the needs of our own kids.  It is a wake-up call that we need to share an “I Love You” periodically with the ones so close to you that sometimes it is left to assumptions rather than actually speaking the words.
My favorite supporting character would be Detective Sandy Taggart.  Mitch is sworn to secrecy by the kidnappers as they threaten to kill Holly, Mitch’s wife, if he is to go to the authorities.  As Detective Taggart chisels away at the reason for the murder in Mitch’s clear viewing, it becomes more apparent to the detective, Mitch might be hiding something.  I only wish we heard more from the detective as the evasiveness of Mitch in conversation with the detective, kept you on the edge of your seat.
Mitch is desperate to find the money and pays a visit to Daniel and Kathy, his parents by first name since thirteen.  Daniel and Kathy, both Doctors of Behavioral Psychology approach child rearing like a psychological experiment and if you read The Husband, I won’t ruin it all for you, but remember two things: the learning room, and the shame game.  Wow, scary stuff.  I shared with my kids, just to remind them, how lucky they really are!  “Now go do your homework!”
Anson is the older brother to Mitch of five siblings and the only other to remain local to the parents as horrified memories of childhood were too much for the three sisters to bear and moved far away when the opportunity showed itself.  Anson was the one light of his parents’ life (and successful experiment) as he pursued the intellectual path and received his doctorate and excelled in the corporate world.  Anson was the shining star and the favorite of all the children as well; with a smile and laugh that would light up the room.  Only, things aren’t always what they seem, and the effects of the behavioral experiments may have affected one or two of the children more than what first meets the eye (without giving too much away).  From this point in the book through its completion, I was let down, somewhat, having built me up with intrigue and curious disgust.  I thought the storyline became a little too predictable towards the end.  Nevertheless, if I was forced to score it, I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars.  And just for the record, I am still a huge fan of Dean Koontz, so if you have the opportunity, I would recommend The Good Guy, and By the Light of The Moon, but certainly would not talk you out of reading, The Husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment